Tha e Teth

Tha e Teth

Postby HC. » Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 pm

It's HOT! 8-)

Pure roastin' here, likes. :shock:

23 degrees in Stornoway today and has been since Friday! Last week was wall to wall sunshine too, but not as hot.

Went down to Harris on Saturday and stupidly didn't put on sun protection and was feeling a little lobster like the following day! :oops:
HC.
APPROVED user

Re: Tha e Teth

Postby Shug » Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Just back from a couple weeks out there. Last couple days made up for the pissing rain and wind on north uist :lol:
Bloody freezing in Edinburgh now I'm home :(
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 am

You should have got in touch, Shug.

Were you on Lewis too?
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby Shug » Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 am

Aye, started off in vatersay and cycled up to butt of lewis. And not a hint of Lycra I must point out.
Prob back in September.
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Wed May 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Shug wrote:Aye, started off in vatersay and cycled up to butt of lewis. And not a hint of Lycra I must point out.
Prob back in September.

WOW! That's an impressive cycle! :)

How was the cycle over the Clisham? It knackers me just driving it! :lol:

You've maybe done so already, but I'd strongly advise booking your ferry tickets asap.

I wanted to go away for a few days this weekend and can't get on the Lewis or the Harris ferry as they're fully booked.

The only place I can get to (without having to fly) is the Uists.

When you're up in September, you're most welcome to stay at ours. We've got plenty space. :)
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby Shug » Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am

Strangely the bit over clisham wasnt the worst. The initial hill up after the junction to hushinish was tough but once up that it was fine.
It was the northerly wind from balallan to shawbost that was the toughest!
We didn't have a car, so rocked up to the ferry and got on fine. Didnt realise they now let you prebook when you don't have a car.
The missus was looking in every estate agent window we passed and relentlessly complained about how noisy edinburgh was when we got home so I'm not sure if we'll get back off the island next time :lol:
Tho I must admit its tempting seeing 3/4 bedroom houses for similar price as our flat here!
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Thu May 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Shug wrote:Strangely the bit over clisham wasnt the worst. The initial hill up after the junction to hushinish was tough but once up that it was fine.
It was the northerly wind from balallan to shawbost that was the toughest!
We didn't have a car, so rocked up to the ferry and got on fine. Didnt realise they now let you prebook when you don't have a car.
The missus was looking in every estate agent window we passed and relentlessly complained about how noisy edinburgh was when we got home so I'm not sure if we'll get back off the island next time :lol:
Tho I must admit its tempting seeing 3/4 bedroom houses for similar price as our flat here!

Aye, the Husinis bit is a killer. My wee car can only manage that in second gear! :lol:

Yes, they let you book without a car now. Be aware though, that even if it says the ferry is full, you can still book on as a foot passenger, but not on line, only by phone. You can also get on the freight ferry at a push if you speak nicely to the Calmac boys and they know you live on the island.

I totally understand what your partner means about noise. I really notice that when I'm back down the road. But I notice the light pollution even more. I rarely see stars when I'm back.

Property prices are much cheaper here and thankfully they're still affordable, unlike the likes of Skye or to some extent, Orkney.

Certain areas however, are silly prices - the likes of Harris or some of the areas in Lewis with nice beaches such as Uig or up in Back (Tolsta, Coll etc). As a result, many locals are priced out the market and some villages have become holiday lets central.

What I would say about property here though, is that there are some right cowps of places! But I'm sure you'll have seen those from the outside on your travels.

I would thoroughly recommend life on the island.

Of course, there are downsides, but they're far outweighed by the positives of living here,. For me, most of the downsides are associated with Sabbatarianism, and while things are slowly changing here, it's going to take a long time for certain habits to die.

I'm sure you've already had a wee gander, but this link is worth adding to your bookmarks. ;)

Check out the second one in Cluer - a half mile walk with no proper path to get to your house! :lol:

https://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/ (click on search)
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby I.J » Thu May 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Was 31 celsius here the other day.

Drank six beers outside and passed out.

:D
First I bang the drum,
Then I bang your mum.
I.J
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:36 pm

I.J wrote:Was 31 celsius here the other day.

Drank six beers outside and passed out.

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Weather is still great here.

Hard to sleep at night because of the heat.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby I.J » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Opposite here - any day it slips below 25 degrees, I'm in the wardrobe for a jumper.

Acclimatising is a piece of piss. 8-)
First I bang the drum,
Then I bang your mum.
I.J
APPROVED user

Next

Return to The terracing