Really?

Really?

Postby HC. » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2

Re: Really?

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 am

HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Really?

Postby HC. » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 am

Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2

Re: Really?

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:


Surprised at you HC. I thought you were posting due to the fact you couldn't believe so many could care. Don't tell me you joined in this " debate" :lol:
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Really?

Postby HC. » Thu May 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:


Surprised at you HC. I thought you were posting due to the fact you couldn't believe so many could care. Don't tell me you joined in this " debate" :lol:


Hi, you can rest assured that I haven't joined in this debate. ;)

I explained my thread title, 'really?' In my post.

I do find it interesting that two people can hear a word differently. The brain is a fascinating piece of kit.

Edit: Hi should read Jim. I HATE auto correction!
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2

Re: Really?

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:23 pm

HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:


Surprised at you HC. I thought you were posting due to the fact you couldn't believe so many could care. Don't tell me you joined in this " debate" :lol:


Hi, you can rest assured that I haven't joined in this debate. ;)

I explained my thread title, 'really?' In my post.

I do find it interesting that two people can hear a word differently. The brain is a fascinating piece of kit.

Edit: Hi should read Jim. I HATE auto correction!


I assumed you had not joined the debate by the title, but then your " that's me telt" confused me. Not hard I know but still.
There was a similar reaction ( mentioned on the radio yesterday about a dress) ( I think it was posted on here too ) and find it hard to understand how " normal" people go ballistic over a twitter page.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Really?

Postby HC. » Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:


Surprised at you HC. I thought you were posting due to the fact you couldn't believe so many could care. Don't tell me you joined in this " debate" :lol:


Hi, you can rest assured that I haven't joined in this debate. ;)

I explained my thread title, 'really?' In my post.

I do find it interesting that two people can hear a word differently. The brain is a fascinating piece of kit.

Edit: Hi should read Jim. I HATE auto correction!


I assumed you had not joined the debate by the title, but then your " that's me telt" confused me. Not hard I know but still.
There was a similar reaction ( mentioned on the radio yesterday about a dress) ( I think it was posted on here too ) and find it hard to understand how " normal" people go ballistic over a twitter page.


I find it hard to understand that people have the time in their lives to be so preoccupied with social media too.

My point is, how can two people hear a word differently, especially native speakers of that language.

Don't you find it fascinating, or am I

a) just sad/boring? (apply appropriate adjective)

or are you

b) just a grumpy git who won't open his mind to other things?

:?: :lol:
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2

Re: Really?

Postby Jambojim52 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm

HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:
HC. wrote:Not exactly world impacting news, but I find it really strange that one word can be heard differently by others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44136799


The fact that there are so many arguing over this, show just how stupid the human race is. People jump on these thing and they go " viral". Just arseholes who have more time than sense.



Ooooosht! That's me telt! :mrgreen:


Surprised at you HC. I thought you were posting due to the fact you couldn't believe so many could care. Don't tell me you joined in this " debate" :lol:


Hi, you can rest assured that I haven't joined in this debate. ;)

I explained my thread title, 'really?' In my post.

I do find it interesting that two people can hear a word differently. The brain is a fascinating piece of kit.

Edit: Hi should read Jim. I HATE auto correction!


I assumed you had not joined the debate by the title, but then your " that's me telt" confused me. Not hard I know but still.
There was a similar reaction ( mentioned on the radio yesterday about a dress) ( I think it was posted on here too ) and find it hard to understand how " normal" people go ballistic over a twitter page.


I find it hard to understand that people have the time in their lives to be so preoccupied with social media too.

My point is, how can two people hear a word differently, especially native speakers of that language.

Don't you find it fascinating, or am I

a) just sad/boring? (apply appropriate adjective)

or are you

b) just a grumpy git who won't open his mind to other things?

:?: :lol:



I would suggest A +B
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Really?

Postby anders » Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 pm

I think it is interesting.
The psychology is interesting that different human beings can hear the same thing and egister it entiorely differently - not just a different understanding or different interpretation, which could be culturally and/or experience based - but actually interpret the sounds as a different thing.
Similarly with the dress colour thing of the other year - again we're of the same species (probably) as others who saw something different to that which we saw. That opens up the 'colour' debate: do you see what I see when I see red?...we'll never know if what we both see what we have learned to name as Red is in exactly the same way.
It's interesting that so many people have got so excited about these, and that's a good and reassuring thing as it means large numbers of people can get engaged in something that's not food/misery/tribalism and other basics of physical survival but is conceptual.
Personally I like the situation.


...dream on...
User avatar
anders
Confirmed Jambo
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm
Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Re: Really?

Postby HC. » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Me too.

It's just Jim that doesn't find it interesting! :lol:
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2

Next

Return to The terracing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron