Barrowford Primary School

Barrowford Primary School

Postby Ally Niemi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:44 pm

This school sent out a letter to it's kids in Y6 saying well done on test results but remember - they're not the only thing to be proud of. In my opinion, what education is about - not just exam results but overall education of life.

Anyway - the story is on the BBC and that's not why i'm posting this, more so that you can take a look at some of the comments that have been written about the story.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-28319907
Another sunrise with my sad captains
​With who I choose to lose my mind
​And if it's all we only come this way but once
​What a perfect waste of time
User avatar
Ally Niemi
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:53 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Briza » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Gotta love internetz message boards and comment threads. :lol:
User avatar
Briza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 am
Location: In the Bath

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Always tell my Grand kids,do the very best you can and no-one can fault you. If you go at something thinking you can't do it, or don't put everything you have into it, then you will not only fail but will always have that feeling instead of failing you could have done it. I was never very good at school, but having saved lives and made people better, I think I have done not too badly. May never be rich in cash terms but I have a lot to look back on.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby anders » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Ally Niemi wrote:more so that you can take a look at some of the comments that have been written about the story.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-28319907

Certainly are some muppets about, and so many of them seem to have keyboards.
Good sentiments in the letter. If everyone got one it'd kind of lose meaning, but when it's not a thoughtless scatter-gun alternative to thought-out focused feedback then it's great encouragement.
Jim - I don't doubt your sincerity for a mo and am sure you're using the right wording for the right person, but I've too often heard the 'do your best that's all that can be asked' mantra used in the wrong cases to be comfortable with it as a general one size fits all encouragement. I've so often seen people adopt it as an excuse, claiming and possibly believing that they've 'done their best' to cover an average performance when in fact they could have pushed themselves for more. And maybe learnt a bit about themselves and about life in the process. Or conversely done less if that's all that was needed. (When I was working - i stopped a year ago - I didn't want people to do their best, I wanted them to do the right thing, whether that was more or less than what they thought was their best up to that point). Anyway, I'm sure you wouldn't let your grandchildren away with lowering their sights!


...dream on...
User avatar
anders
Confirmed Jambo
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm
Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Up to now both kids doing well and at or near the top of the class for their age. I get what you are saying but I would never encourage anyone to do barely enough, and claim it was their best. Always encourage them to work hard and if they do all they can what more can you ask?
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Briza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 am

Jambojim52 wrote:Up to now both kids doing well and at or near the top of the class for their age. I get what you are saying but I would never encourage anyone to do barely enough, and claim it was their best. Always encourage them to work hard and if they do all they can what more can you ask?

In this situation, when it's your own kids, you know fine well what their potential is; when they've coasted and when they've done their best. So I'm sure Jim means it in that sense.

The sentiment in that letter is well-meaning, and it should be seen in the context of encouraging individuality. There's a lot to be said for grades knocking the confidence out of kids at too early an age, but at the same time some kids thrive on that bad grade, pushing them further – so the point about the examiners not knowing 'you' the individual is quite correct. The exams at that age really don't cover enough of what could be considered a child's talents, it's the basic R's and where it's valuable to have the grounding, it's not until you get to start choosing subjects at GSCE/Standard Grade that you can start to define your strengths based on your particular intelligence and abilities. So long as the school in question can hold it's head up and say we have delivered the very best teaching for each of these children's abilities and pushed them to achieve all they could, regardless of how 'well' they scored.
User avatar
Briza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 am
Location: In the Bath

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby anders » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 am

Uh-huh. Of course it's not the examiners' role to know the children and influence anything accordingly - that's the teachers and most importantly the parents role. It's they wot should be preparing and directing the children to do as well as that child can do both in exams (as a prep for some of what their future will consist of) and equally in understanding/accepting what exam results do and don't mean..... brings us right back to the letter.


...dream on...
User avatar
anders
Confirmed Jambo
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm
Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Drew » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:56 pm

There is also the argument that the education system merely trains the next generation of goons to man the phones and fix the computers in the corporation offices, oppressing rather than enabling.
Drew
Confirmed Jambo
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Briza wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:Up to now both kids doing well and at or near the top of the class for their age. I get what you are saying but I would never encourage anyone to do barely enough, and claim it was their best. Always encourage them to work hard and if they do all they can what more can you ask?

In this situation, when it's your own kids, you know fine well what their potential is; when they've coasted and when they've done their best. So I'm sure Jim means it in that sense.

The sentiment in that letter is well-meaning, and it should be seen in the context of encouraging individuality. There's a lot to be said for grades knocking the confidence out of kids at too early an age, but at the same time some kids thrive on that bad grade, pushing them further – so the point about the examiners not knowing 'you' the individual is quite correct. The exams at that age really don't cover enough of what could be considered a child's talents, it's the basic R's and where it's valuable to have the grounding, it's not until you get to start choosing subjects at GSCE/Standard Grade that you can start to define your strengths based on your particular intelligence and abilities. So long as the school in question can hold it's head up and say we have delivered the very best teaching for each of these children's abilities and pushed them to achieve all they could, regardless of how 'well' they scored.



Thanks Brian and maybe I didn't put it across very well. The problem with most schooling is the large classes and the number who " don't want to learn or even be there" , this can hold the brighter ones back with classroom disruption etc.
For years the " decent" working class knew who much it cost to have kids and stopped around 2. Now with the benefits system the ones who don't want to work, just pop out another kid and the welfare gives them a living. This increases the number of undisciplined and couldn't care in the classroom. I know this is a generalisation but I saw it where I used to live, with large families of non workers and their kids with anti social behaviour.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Barrowford Primary School

Postby HC. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:05 pm

In my view it's quite surprising to read a letter like that coming from a Heidie. I'm sure she's been hauled over the coals for it by now.

Thank goodness we don't test in Scotland in the same way as they do in England.
HC.
APPROVED user
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: HS2


Return to The terracing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron