FAO Shug

FAO Shug

Postby HC. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Shug - can you advise, please ?

I happen to have used my desktop PC the other day and noticed that my version of Office is 2007.

Apparently it's not being supported as of this month.

I've got loads of word docs on my PC which I have backed up on an external hard drive.

Will I be able to open these docs\edit them etc after October ? Is it just a case of Microsoft not continuing to provide fixes etc ?

Thanks.
HC.
APPROVED user

Re: FAO Shug

Postby Jambojim52 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 pm

HC. wrote:Shug - can you advise, please ?

I happen to have used my desktop PC the other day and noticed that my version of Office is 2007.

Apparently it's not being supported as of this month.

I've got loads of word docs on my PC which I have backed up on an external hard drive.

Will I be able to open these docs\edit them etc after October ? Is it just a case of Microsoft not continuing to provide fixes etc ?

Thanks.

I too have office 2007. Didn't know they were doing anything about it! Hope it will continue to work as I hate learning something new :shock:
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby Shug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 am

They'll just stop releasing patches/updates. It'll still work.
Office 2007 was the first to use an xml format for documents, and is used in all later versions. (thats why files are .docx instead of .doc now) so newer versions will open those files just fine as well.
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 am

There are other options too - free alternatives to Office are available (LibreOffice suite amongst them) which will handle your docs and looks & performs not too unlike Microsoft Office, and if you're comfortable working online (and don't fancy Google Docs) then Microsoft Office Online is free and is a cut-down version of the full suite. It lacks some functions but if you're doing mostly simpler Word & Excel docs then it'll handle them comfortably.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

I use word and outlook. Outlook for transferring emails from my sky account to outlook express. ( pop3 ) Other than that I hardly use it.
Jambojim52

Postby anders » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 pm

can you not just set up a Rule in your Sky acct to forward every email to your Outlook Express account?
Or if that is the same account and you're just using Express to read & handle the emails that arrive in your Sky one, just set Outlook Express to go fetch all emails from the Sky one automatically?

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Postby anders » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm

PS if you only use Word the free products above will do that job for you. And you probably already have Wordpad on your PC which is a cut-down version of Word - is that enough for what you do?

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Postby Jambojim52 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:58 pm

anders wrote:can you not just set up a Rule in your Sky acct to forward every email to your Outlook Express account?
Or if that is the same account and you're just using Express to read & handle the emails that arrive in your Sky one, just set Outlook Express to go fetch all emails from the Sky one automatically?

Don't have a clue what you just said! I have pop3 that brings in all my sky emails into outlook.
My son Alan did it for me ( originally ) and typed out how to do it and I just followed the dots.
Jambojim52

Postby HC. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Shug wrote:They'll just stop releasing patches/updates. It'll still work.
Office 2007 was the first to use an xml format for documents, and is used in all later versions. (thats why files are .docx instead of .doc now) so newer versions will open those files just fine as well.

Thanks, Shug.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm

anders wrote:There are other options too - free alternatives to Office are available (LibreOffice suite amongst them) which will handle your docs and looks & performs not too unlike Microsoft Office, and if you're comfortable working online (and don't fancy Google Docs) then Microsoft Office Online is free and is a cut-down version of the full suite. It lacks some functions but if you're doing mostly simpler Word & Excel docs then it'll handle them comfortably.

Yeah, I've used Open Office in the past. Thanks, Anders.
HC.
APPROVED user

Next

Return to The terracing