FAO Shug

Re: FAO Shug

Postby anders » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm

HC. wrote:
anders wrote:There are other options too - free alternatives to Office are available (LibreOffice suite amongst them) which will handle your docs and looks & performs not too unlike Microsoft Office, and if you're comfortable working online (and don't fancy Google Docs) then Microsoft Office Online is free and is a cut-down version of the full suite. It lacks some functions but if you're doing mostly simpler Word & Excel docs then it'll handle them comfortably.

Yeah, I've used Open Office in the past. Thanks, Anders.

Open Office has been lagging a little behind Libre Office for a few years (Open Office is still fine though, I believe).
Microsoft mints it with the various paid-for Office suites since most people at home only use Word files, and the already-in-their-PC Wordpad would be enough for so many!

Microsoft Office Online is a response to the threat of Google Docs, who knows where the competition will take the pair of them in future, but both work OK, tho I believe Microsoft's handles older document versions better so if that's true, would be easier for someone in Jim's position to start using. Tho I'd counsel looking at Wordpad first if the idea of getting your head around no docs on your PC doesn't appeal.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Re: FAO Shug

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

anders wrote:
HC. wrote:
anders wrote:There are other options too - free alternatives to Office are available (LibreOffice suite amongst them) which will handle your docs and looks & performs not too unlike Microsoft Office, and if you're comfortable working online (and don't fancy Google Docs) then Microsoft Office Online is free and is a cut-down version of the full suite. It lacks some functions but if you're doing mostly simpler Word & Excel docs then it'll handle them comfortably.

Yeah, I've used Open Office in the past. Thanks, Anders.

Open Office has been lagging a little behind Libre Office for a few years (Open Office is still fine though, I believe).
Microsoft mints it with the various paid-for Office suites since most people at home only use Word files, and the already-in-their-PC Wordpad would be enough for so many!

Microsoft Office Online is a response to the threat of Google Docs, who knows where the competition will take the pair of them in future, but both work OK, tho I believe Microsoft's handles older document versions better so if that's true, would be easier for someone in Jim's position to start using. Tho I'd counsel looking at Wordpad first if the idea of getting your head around no docs on your PC doesn't appeal.

Da if you say so :?
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Previous

Return to The terracing