Glorious failure

Glorious failure

Postby iantjambo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Again.

No doubt the wee ginger scrote will keep his job though.
iantjambo
Confirmed Jambo

Re: Glorious failure

Postby HC. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:55 pm

I think you're wrong - Strachan will resign.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Take away the context and the result was OK, against a team that was pretty fluid coming forward. But at 1-1 in a match we had to win, going to just 1 up front was a change that had to come off if he's not going to be hugely criticised.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 am

anders wrote:Take away the context and the result was OK, against a team that was pretty fluid coming forward. But at 1-1 in a match we had to win, going to just 1 up front was a change that had to come off if he's not going to be hugely criticised.

It was a shite result against a team with nothing to win.
Strachan once again picked Philips , Bannan, Fletcher and Teirney, none of whom cover themselves in glory.
The guy is a walking disaster and his first games in charge where he picked Brown and co showed him up.
In fact we played better the last two games without Brown shows he is a waste of a jersey.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby Shug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:48 am

Admittedly I had necked a few pints by then, but when we were 2-1 I joked that it was time for a Jimmy Calderwood formation.
Which got me thinking, could he be any worse?
:lol:
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am

Shug wrote:Admittedly I had necked a few pints by then, but when we were 2-1 I joked that it was time for a Jimmy Calderwood formation.
Which got me thinking, could he be any worse?
:lol:

I do believe there is an up and coming new manager( I was going to say young but to be fair he is anything but young!) someone who would have put out a much better team and gone all out for a win. Someone who is head and shoulders above Strachan in the managerial stakes. Someone who can look at a game and change things for the better.
His name:

Mr M Mouse!
Jambojim52

Postby Forrest » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

We were 3rd seeds when the draw took place, and we finished 3rd in the group. I'm in 2 minds. That's two successive failures in qualifying campaigns for Strachan. However, we have undoubtedly improved over the course of the campaign, so should we stick with him?

Craig Brown's undoing was continuing to always pick the same players, and Strachan was heading that way early doors in the campaign: Hanley, Greer, Russell Martin, Naysmith, Steven Fletcher. If he can move on from Brown, Darren Fletcher, bring Paterson in to give us that physical presence he's talking about, then I'd be inclined I think to keep him on.

On the other hand, I put on a £10 bet back in April at 10/1 that Davie Moyes would be the next Scotland manager...
Forrest
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 pm

I've always been a Strachan fan but have reached the conclusion that it's time for him to go.

Some of his decisions have been baffling at best and have shown signs of his stubbornness and inability to reflect on the decisions he's made in previous games.

Why did he take so long to play Griffiths? Where was McGinn or Forrest?

In addition to some of his questionable choices of players and indeed substitutions, his increasingly poor PR skills must be questioned.

While I'm all in favour of managers putting down journalists who pose stupid, meaningless questions, Strachan has shown a poor insight into being able to manage the media in an effective manner.

Some of his come-backs regarding his own and the team's performance have been cringeworthy, none so more than last night.

I was embarrassed to hear him talking last night:

"Technically we’re fine,” Strachan said. “But our guys have to work harder to get on the ball than bigger lads at six foot three. Genetically we are behind. In the last campaign we were the second smallest squad behind Spain. That means that I had to pick a team tonight to try and combat their height and strength. Even at that, we couldn’t combat their height and strength at set plays. Genetically, we have to work at things. It is a problem for us."

The first thing that sprung to mind was players like Maradonna, Messi and Strachan himself and the players he played with like Dalgleish etc none of them were giants.

Nah - enough is enough, Strachan. Show a little self-awareness and go.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm

HC. wrote:I've always been a Strachan fan but have reached the conclusion that it's time for him to go.

Some of his decisions have been baffling at best and have shown signs of his stubbornness and inability to reflect on the decisions he's made in previous games.

Why did he take so long to play Griffiths? Where was McGinn or Forrest?

In addition to some of his questionable choices of players and indeed substitutions, his increasingly poor PR skills must be questioned.

While I'm all in favour of managers putting down journalists who pose stupid, meaningless questions, Strachan has shown a poor insight into being able to manage the media in an effective manner.

Some of his come-backs regarding his own and the team's performance have been cringeworthy, none so more than last night.

I was embarrassed to hear him talking last night:

"Technically we’re fine,” Strachan said. “But our guys have to work harder to get on the ball than bigger lads at six foot three. Genetically we are behind. In the last campaign we were the second smallest squad behind Spain. That means that I had to pick a team tonight to try and combat their height and strength. Even at that, we couldn’t combat their height and strength at set plays. Genetically, we have to work at things. It is a problem for us."

The first thing that sprung to mind was players like Maradonna, Messi and Strachan himself and the players he played with like Dalgleish etc none of them were giants.

Nah - enough is enough, Strachan. Show a little self-awareness and go.

Forrest was gash last game ( Slovakia ) He had the choice of a couple of Aberdeen guys along with Griffiths ,McGinn and McGregor. None of them ( other than a late call for Giff ) got a look in. He played Mulgrew, Philips, Fletcher ( and stuck with Brown ) and a couple of others who could easily be left out. His tactics last night were wanting. We had to win and sat back in defense for most of the game. Clearing the ball with a hump up the park only for them to come onto us again.
He took seven minutes to make a sub after they went ahead and still left Philips on the park. Anya should have started instead of Teirney ( who was on the right and plays left back for Celtic ) with Snodgrass ( instead of Philips ) and Griffiths up front, and any useless twat instead of Bannan ( any useless twat would have been an improvement)
Jambojim52

Postby anders » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 am

Some of the players he left out was prob the right decision if you look at 'are they playing regularly for their clubs?', but then he includes players who aren't playing regularly....etc etc.
I have sympathy with the difficult choice - you can either play someone new who's playing v well and has greater potential but is untried in this company, or someone not playing as well but who's done it at this level before, and whichever choice you make is only wrong after the game. But he's the manager and is paid to get it right.
Late flurry of better results might keep him in the job, but that happened before did it not? Two 4th place finishes and one 3rd iirc - that's worse than Vogts. Having said that, those were different squads and different opposition so that kind of results-based comparison is misleading.
Strachan doesn't tend to be sacked, he tends to walk before it happens so maybe he'll do that again and take the decision from the SFA.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Next

Return to The terracing