The team

The team

Postby Jambojim52 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 am

The pre season tour is upon us. What do you guys think of the team so far? Do we have enough to compete or should we be signing more? ( and will we? )
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Re: The team

Postby anders » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 am

Thin at the back, and if Djoum doesn't perform like he didn't after the african cup of nations win last season we'll need a 'make things happen' midfielder too. Even if he does perform we're still thin there too, unless Martin realises what he's meant to achieve and achieves it.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Forrest » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am

I'm looking forward to the season. There will be more signings to come.

We've got Hughes, Berra, McGhee, Novak, Souttar at CH, and Buaben as cover.

Seem to have options for both wing back positions now: Smith, Smith, Smith-Brown and Grzalek.

Up front, it depends what we go with. Could we see a front free, with Isma on the left & Lafferty through the middle? Who would play on the right? Got Bjorn, too. Presume Sammon will be away.

I think Martin will come good this season after a good pre-season. Cowie's in there, but not getting any younger. Doubtful whether Walker & Djoum will be there come the start of the season. Who else do we have? Prince, Kitchen.

Not looking too shabby.
Forrest
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Media claiming we are in a fight with Hibs for Whittaker. Not sure I could take the Hibby arse.
Jambojim52

Postby anders » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Forrest wrote:I'm looking forward to the season. There will be more signings to come.

We've got Hughes, Berra, McGhee, Novak, Souttar at CH, and Buaben as cover.

Seem to have options for both wing back positions now: Smith, Smith, Smith-Brown and Grzalek.

Up front, it depends what we go with. Could we see a front free, with Isma on the left & Lafferty through the middle? Who would play on the right? Got Bjorn, too. Presume Sammon will be away.

I think Martin will come good this season after a good pre-season. Cowie's in there, but not getting any younger. Doubtful whether Walker & Djoum will be there come the start of the season. Who else do we have? Prince, Kitchen.

Not looking too shabby.

And Stockton.
At the back Hughes is unlikely to play them all and Soapy needs experienced company around him (makes the odd clanger ill-judged pass, which he was getting away with last term before his injury). Had forgotten about Novak! So say Berra/Soapy/Novak as first choice with only just enough cover, if Hughes has long absences again.
Wing-backs/full backs - are all untried (by us) or inexperienced so I think they're question mark positions. If any are tried and found guilty we'll be patching things up, tho should be good enough for all but the few decent sides n the SPFL.
Up front looks OK with Currie & Stockton to keep two-up if injuries or form take out Laugherty or Isma.
Middle? We have workers of varying degrees of ability, but little in the way of a match-winner unless Martin has adjusted to the Scottish game (and forgotten all this silly 'football' nonsense ;) ) tho Buaban & Djoum can do good things at times.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby bobcat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:10 am

Bit worried about early season with no home matches and a system Cathro has yet to prove will work. Not preaching doom, just concern. The squad looks solid, but not world beating so I don't expect a push for top 2 with the current ins.

Disappointed Kitchen didn't work out. He was a very good player in MLS and I thought one that would work out in Scotland. Not sure what the issue was but he was a shell of his MLS-self while with Hearts.
bobcat
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 am

For me all of the players at the end of last season were pissed off with Cathro and Levein passing notes. They may well like his training sessions but that doesn't mean he can manage and Levein sticking his nose in doesn't help the order of command. Not really impressed with the signings and can't see us getting much from the first six away games. This means a big cloud over Cathro and more disruption.

Ps Hope I am proved wrong.
Jambojim52

Return to The terracing