Great fire of London.

Great fire of London.

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Someone must take the blame. The cladding should never have caught fire and it looks like corners were cut in the fire retardant nature of said cladding.
Those living in flats close by must be shitting themselves now. Sad and unnecessary loss of life.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Re: Great fire of London.

Postby anders » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 am

read a worrying quote this morning in "i", from the housing minister of a couple of years ago, about sprinkler systems that 'they believed it was up to the manufacturers of such systems to market them effectively and to encourage their uptake'. As opposed to direction & regulation?

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am

The block was 24 stories high and the fire brigade ladder( Simon snorkel ) could only reach ten floors up. Anyone higher was on their own! The thing is, it appears the cladding caught fire and engulfed the block every quickly. Even if the fire started in one flat, how did it spread so fast on the outside?
Personally I think it was started deliberately, in more than one location. Can't see any other way for the flames to spread so fast. Both sides of the block were on fire and even allowing for the wind it took hold too fast to be natural.
Jambojim52

Postby Forrest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 am

Think some of that is unfounded, Jim, especially re the fire being started deliberately in multiple places. Fire needs 3 things: fuel, oxygen and heat. Once it has the heat (from the initial source), the cladding and the wind provide the rest.

Sad that one of the richest areas in the UK "can't afford" to install a sprinkler system in a block of flats.

Regulations changed last decade too, whereby fire inspections are no longer required by the Fire Brigade - it's the responsibility of the owner now.

Fire can be a very scary thing, and I'm personally very glad that I've never had to live in a hi-rise.
Forrest
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Forrest when a fire starts you see the progression as it spreads. This fire has two or more low areas where it would appear the fire started. Had it started in a flat for example you would see the burn move from the flat out of the window and onward and upwards. The pattern here is rather odd to say the least. However my main point is the cladding caught fire and that is something that should never happen. Didn't see it myself but Babs said a guy on tv, got some of the cladding and lit it, and it went up like dry paper. NOT what I would suggest is suitable for a building.
Jambojim52

Postby anders » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:49 pm

the cladding as I understand it had a gap behind to allow rainwater to run away.
That in itself would make it act like a chimney as air passes across the top, lowering the pressure there and drawing air up and around the gap. Once a fire start and that air gets heated it'll want to rise anyway and magnify the problem. The passage of hot air around the surface of the building would itself make the fire likely to spread and could cause second fires to ignite wherever it found combustible material.
Just surmising, but the physics fit.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 am

So now they are blaming a fridge? That does not explain how so many flats were on fire ( Inside ) as the cladding raged on the other side of the block.
One flat goes on fire and it spreads out a window. The flats immediately above then catch fire as it spreads due to the cladding. That doesn't explain the pictures of fires inside flats well away from the main inferno.
Jambojim52

Postby HC. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm

What an absolute tragedy.

With regards the fridge - that story was unconfirmed a couple of days after the fire.

The guy whose flat it happened in - on the fourth floor I think - left his flat to wake up all the residents on that floor and apparently on the floor above too.

It would appear that building standards are not tough enough and that the decision to use this particular cladding was bases purely on cost.
HC.
APPROVED user

Return to The terracing