Ongoing hosting and costs for Jnet

Re: Ongoing hosting and costs for Jnet

Postby Briza » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:Without Brian the site would have died years ago and we all very much appreciate him doing it. However I don't know just how much time and effort he puts in now the site has shrunk. Would love him to keep it going, even if he just left it run unsupervised, and make a yearly donation to costs.

Jim, the effort is zero at the moment. Once installed and set up to block all the bots that try to sign up and spam the board, there's only occasionally a new member to approve but honestly, we've not had a single one of those in a very long time. And moderation isn't needed anymore since certain people chose twitter as their vehicle for sharing super hero cock pictures :roll: . It's not just the cost; in fact if you were to pay me for the costs, which are through my old company, I'd then need to generate an invoice to account for the payment. It'll actually be more of a pain than just taking the hit. I'd just like to hand back responsibility for it to others, and you can decide what to do with it after that. But if you can't decide, or don't want the responsibility, I can just close it all.

Please come to a decision, as I'm happy to help migrate to a new place, but if not, I'd like to shut it down.
Briza
Site Admin

Postby Jambojim52 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Sad news Brian but I was thinking more of sending cash through paypal to you personally.
However as stated I would do it but I don't know how. Not good at all with he pc stuff. I was hoping one of the younger set could take it up, but if it has to end then there is nothing I personally can do to stop it.
Once again many thanks for running it for so long. Much appreciated.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby HC. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Briza wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:Without Brian the site would have died years ago and we all very much appreciate him doing it. However I don't know just how much time and effort he puts in now the site has shrunk. Would love him to keep it going, even if he just left it run unsupervised, and make a yearly donation to costs.

Jim, the effort is zero at the moment. Once installed and set up to block all the bots that try to sign up and spam the board, there's only occasionally a new member to approve but honestly, we've not had a single one of those in a very long time. And moderation isn't needed anymore since certain people chose twitter as their vehicle for sharing super hero cock pictures :roll: . It's not just the cost; in fact if you were to pay me for the costs, which are through my old company, I'd then need to generate an invoice to account for the payment. It'll actually be more of a pain than just taking the hit. I'd just like to hand back responsibility for it to others, and you can decide what to do with it after that. But if you can't decide, or don't want the responsibility, I can just close it all.

Please come to a decision, as I'm happy to help migrate to a new place, but if not, I'd like to shut it down.

Brian, regarding your last sentence, I think our decision is clear - we'd like to see it continuing if possible.

Also re your last sentence, if you're happy to do the migration for us, and I suppose the finding a host too, we'd be able to manage it thereafter.

Jim, happy to show you what to do once the migration has been done as I don't think it's right to have a non Jambo - and especially a Hibby to boot - to be running the site. ;)

Brian, would you be happy to do that?

Jim, would you take over the helm with my support and the support of others?
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Briza wrote:

Brian, regarding your last sentence, I think our decision is clear - we'd like to see it continuing if possible.

Also re your last sentence, if you're happy to do the migration for us, and I suppose the finding a host too, we'd be able to manage it thereafter.

Jim, happy to show you what to do once the migration has been done as I don't think it's right to have a non Jambo - and especially a Hibby to boot - to be running the site. ;)

Brian, would you be happy to do that?

Jim, would you take over the helm with my support and the support of others?
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

Before completely giving up on the closed Facebook group option, can I just explore HC & Jim's reasons for non-use of it - is it on principle, as an anti-globalisation kind of thing or some personal reason.

If it's dislike/distrust of large corporations please note that it's possible to have a Facebook presence of membership of solely that one group only. (Also that unless you're running Firefox browser on a Linux operating system you've already got the big corp presence).

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am

HC. It it's idiot proof then I am up for trying it. As For a Hibby running the site I don't think you come under that heading as you have been a great contributer over the years ;)

Anders, I have seen too many fall foul of the social media fiasco that is facebook. Infact I do have an account. My son was working in Honk Kong for a few months some years ago, and I joined to follow him there. Now I have no use for it, and I am still inundated with friends requests and login prompts to the point of driving me mad.
Who the feck wants to have me as a friend? :twisted: The whole premise is stupid and I won't use it. It is linked to an almost defunct google account and my phone gets at least two messages a day requesting I log in to facebook! Like I said I am not savy enough to dump facebook or the google account off my phone and when I am anywhere I could get someone to do it I forget I have to sort it ( old age )

Ps I would prefer the site stayed as it is thanks.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby HC. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

anders wrote:Before completely giving up on the closed Facebook group option, can I just explore HC & Jim's reasons for non-use of it - is it on principle, as an anti-globalisation kind of thing or some personal reason.

If it's dislike/distrust of large corporations please note that it's possible to have a Facebook presence of membership of solely that one group only. (Also that unless you're running Firefox browser on a Linux operating system you've already got the big corp presence).

It's neither, Anders - it's quite simple a lifestyle choice.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby HC. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:HC. It it's idiot proof then I am up for trying it. As For a Hibby running the site I don't think you come under that heading as you have been a great contributer over the years ;)

Anders, I have seen too many fall foul of the social media fiasco that is facebook. Infact I do have an account. My son was working in Honk Kong for a few months some years ago, and I joined to follow him there. Now I have no use for it, and I am still inundated with friends requests and login prompts to the point of driving me mad.
Who the feck wants to have me as a friend? :twisted: The whole premise is stupid and I won't use it. It is linked to an almost defunct google account and my phone gets at least two messages a day requesting I log in to facebook! Like I said I am not savy enough to dump facebook or the google account off my phone and when I am anywhere I could get someone to do it I forget I have to sort it ( old age )

If Brian is still willing to migrate it (and find us a host) then we can do the rest.

As for running it - I won't be - I'm a Hibby. Will however help you with it if you need help. I'm sure Andres would too.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:38 pm

HC. wrote:
Jambojim52 wrote:HC. It it's idiot proof then I am up for trying it. As For a Hibby running the site I don't think you come under that heading as you have been a great contributer over the years ;)

If Brian is still willing to migrate it (and find us a host) then we can do the rest.

As for running it - I won't be - I'm a Hibby. Will however help you with it if you need help. I'm sure Andres would too.

Yes I'm sure that Andres, that pal of the dyslexic hibby, would.
As would I - Anders ;)
With the caveat that I can't always. I've been monitoring my time since this came up to see if in fact I'd be able to look after it much more than I first thought, but tbh it's shown me that it prob would be a prob a fair chunk of the time. Willing to help tho.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby HC. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 pm

anders wrote:
HC. wrote:

Yes I'm sure that Andres, that pal of the dyslexic hibby, would.
As would I - Anders ;)
With the caveat that I can't always. I've been monitoring my time since this came up to see if in fact I'd be able to look after it much more than I first thought, but tbh it's shown me that it prob would be a prob a fair chunk of the time. Willing to help tho.

It won't take any looking after if Brian is able to source and migrate. There are about four or five max who post regularly.
HC.
APPROVED user

PreviousNext

Return to The terracing