Ongoing hosting and costs for Jnet

Ongoing hosting and costs for Jnet

Postby Briza » Tue May 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Lads, for years now I've been funding this place off my own back, paying the domain renewal each year and the hosting cost was rolled into my overall costs for hosting customers websites. However, I've not been working for myself for a year now, having taken on a proper-job and the monthly hosting costs are painful when I add them up over the course of a year. I'm also never on here and, frankly, there's only a handful of you using the site now – unlike in it's hey day. As such I want to hand it over to someone more willing to host.

Have a chat amongst yourselves, you'll need a basic hosting package for a PHP forum, and the $40 or so each year for the domain name. You might decide it's not worth it anymore. Let me know what you want to do but don't take too long eh? ;-)
Briza
Site Admin

Re: Ongoing hosting and costs for Jnet

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 am

Shame you have come to this Brian but I fully understand. It does take up your time too. I have said many times I am willing to donate. Personally don't have the smarts to run this but maybe someone else can. Can you let us know just what the costs are /year, and then we can make a decision.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby anders » Wed May 31, 2017 11:32 am

A quick Google suggested £1/month Jim plus the $40pa. May be some unpleasant or expensive implications of getting hosting at that cost.
I don't feel it's worth a big sum to me to keep it going but if a number of others do, I will too.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby Jambojim52 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:30 pm

anders wrote:A quick Google suggested £1/month Jim plus the $40pa. May be some unpleasant or expensive implications of getting hosting at that cost.
I don't feel it's worth a big sum to me to keep it going but if a number of others do, I will too.

As I said I don't have the pc savvy to run something like that BUT if it means donations/ month with an annual subscription I am up for it. £10 a year/ three or more won't break the bank.
Once this has been up a couple of days maybe give the others time to see it and have a think we can maybe work something out.
Jambojim52

Postby HC. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:51 am

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't posted for a while - I've had a few family/personal issues that I've needed to concentrate on.

I for one would be really sad to see the board go and am more than willing to pay towards its survival.

I wouldn't be able to take anything on board to do with the running of the site - plus, it wouldn't be right for a Hibby to be the frontman - but am happy to cough up some dough to allow it to continue.
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Brian is there any way you can keep running the site as is and we send you the cash to compensate?
More than happy to donate as I have intimated many times in the past.
Jambojim52

Postby anders » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Brian as he says is never on and I don't think we should therefore pressure him to keep administrating it. One of those hanging around, or someone separate who'll do it happily as a favour, should.
For me I too have moved on a bit and i travel around a bit and when I do I'm not often in great WiFi contact so if it had a problem it might be out for over a week, or longer. Kind of defeating the purpose of a message board. Let's see who's interested in taking part then see if any of them will do it

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby iantjambo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm

It would be a shame to see the site go.

I don't post on here as much as I used to but would still be happy to pay towards its upkeep.
iantjambo
Confirmed Jambo

Postby Forrest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 am

I think, unfortunately, that Jnet's days are numbered :cry:

It doesn't seem like anyone left has the technical know-how to carry it on. Jnet, and through it, Real Maroon, has been a big part of my life since 2001, and will always have a special place in my heart.

It seems now though that one of the main things which made it better than JKB - that it was populated in the main by a smaller, more "select" bunch - has ultimately led to its downfall.

I'll carry on reading and posting where appropriate to the bitter end! Thanks from the heart to all who have made it happen over the years.
Forrest
APPROVED user

Postby Jambojim52 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 pm

First off , IF the site dies we can only thank Brian for keeping it going so long. He has refused cash on numerous occasions and used his own cash to keep it running. So, many thanks Brian, and well done you!
I don't know how much time Brian puts in to running this, but if he's had enough then so be it.
I wish I had the PC smarts to run it but I don't!
Just want to ask, if it does have to close, if maybe Brian could set a date, maybe allowing a couple of weeks for everyone to say goodbye and exchange contact details if required.
Jambojim52

Next

Return to The terracing