Help Needed

Help Needed

Postby HC. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Guys, any help you can give on this one would be much appreciated.

A bit of a long story.......

I just logged on to my PayPal account to find out that there were about 10 or so contacts in my contact list that weren't there the last time I was logged on. (about when I started collecting the money for the
WC competition). I don't know any of the names.

Obviously, I've checked my bank account and all is well apart from 1 transaction for 15 quid.

It's showing up on my bank statement as pp*actufone.

A quick Google search shows it could be Paddy Power.

I have never gambled online.

The situation is this. The time it came out of my account was when I was across on the mainland and when I attempted to upgrade my phone at the Vodafone shop.

To cut a very long story short, I ended up cancelling my contract because of their incompetence and had a bit of a to-do with with the salesman who wouldn't accept me handing the phone back to the shop in spite of their company policy and what was part of the contract.

I left my phone in store for an hour or so in order for him to back up the photos. (as it turns out, he wasn't able to do this).

Is there anyway that he could have used my phone to place a bet ?

I had an app on my phone for online banking but I haven't been able to access it for at least a year (phone too old to accept the updates).

I also recently updated my Vodafone details; new address, email etc and did that just before I went to the mainland.

I'm going to go in to my bank tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any advice you have and what your thoughts are.

I'm also going to delete the contacts in my PayPal account. (the 15 quid is not showing up as a PayPal transaction).

Thanks, guys.
HC.
APPROVED user

Re: Help Needed

Postby anders » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Can offer v little knowledgeable help I'm afraid, but I'd recommend deleting those contacts but after you've taken screenshots on your PC of them. Otherwise you've no evidence for Vodafone/police/etc. Also communicating with companies on things like this is best done by email and Twitter to give you a written copy, chain of events, dates etc. Twitter is particularly good as it's public + quick, and companies tend to respond quickly as suggestions of poor customer care by them are there for all to see. Hope it gets sorted quickly. A block on your bank account and opening a new one would give you some feeling of security so no more can be taken - bank fraud lines are open 24/7

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby HC. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 am

Panic over ! It was for a phone cover ! :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

Numpty. :D :D :D

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby HC. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am

I know - what a beamer! :mrgreen:
HC.
APPROVED user

Postby Forrest » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 pm

:lol: I was just about to say that it *could* be theoretically possible. Just as well you didn't get around to defaming the boy - it would take a right brass neck to pull a stunt like that at your work!

I usually let my browser remember my passwords for sites - but not for PayPal or banks.
Forrest
APPROVED user

Postby I.J » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Good work HC.

:D
First I bang the drum,
Then I bang your mum.
I.J
APPROVED user

Return to The terracing