Commonwealth Games

Postby HC. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Allez Ecosse. 8-)

May you do us proud, Glasgow. 8-)
HC.
APPROVED user

Re: Commonwealth Games

Postby Mike1962 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Sales of sports socks are through the roof. Two perr furra pounda!

:) :)
Mike1962
APPROVED user

Postby Shug » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Opening ceremony,
What
the
Fuck?
:oops: :o
Shug
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:09 am

I thought the idea behind 'a microphone' perhaps needed to be explained to the head of Glasgow council.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Location: englandshire, near Scotland. And Bruntsfield/Merchiston

Postby anders » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 pm

Know what's irritating? The patronising 'say good things about Scottish competitors' that's going on. On the English beeb there's the usual focus on everything around the English competitors but a mention part-way through of "....and Scotland's xyz did brilliantly to finish in 8th place" and the co-presenter will say "yes, didn't he".... then back to the assumption that we're all wanting to hear about the plucky English hope. I'd rather they just talked about England if that's what they want and not pretend, or give all UK competitors equal coverage, but am not much encouraged by the little 'positive mentions of Scotland' as it's not ringing true to me. Maybe I'm wrong to doubt their sincerity.
C Balding calling the Scottish & Norn Iron swimmers English Competitors doesn't bother me the same cos that's just a mistake, the English view of England & the UK leads them to misunderstand the two - a shame bit so what really?

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Postby Big Al » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:05 pm

There's even less said about the Welsh, Dragons going ballistic some days
Big Al
APPROVED user

Postby anders » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Big Al wrote:There's even less said about the Welsh, Dragons going ballistic some days

Yeah? Hadn't picked up on that Al but now you mention it they haven't had much attention from our central national broadcaster.

...dream on...
anders
Confirmed Jambo

Postby Jambojim52 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 pm

The biggest shock is they brought up English commentators when they have lots at the BBC in Glasgow.
Then the big stink about non political the games are when they have a gay kiss in the opening and dual flags with the Union flag on one side and the Saltire on the other. Then they throw out a woman for having YES on her flag and stop people entering Glasgow Green ( a public park ) because they have yes badges on.
Jambojim52
Head of conspiracy theories

Postby MaroonEye » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:The biggest shock is they brought up English commentators when they have lots at the BBC in Glasgow.

From what I've seen online this is constantly one of the biggest problems with BBC sport, in particular. I have absolutely no idea what Lineker is there for.

I would say they probably have a duty to show medal winners from UK nations (especially gold medal winners) over other coverage. Scottish athletes have got a decent share of coverage in that respect. I haven't seen anything of the Isle of Man's team, by contrast. ;-)
MaroonEye
APPROVED user

Postby Ally Niemi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Jambojim52 wrote:The biggest shock is they brought up English commentators when they have lots at the BBC in Glasgow.
Then the big stink about non political the games are when they have a gay kiss in the opening and dual flags with the Union flag on one side and the Saltire on the other. Then they throw out a woman for having YES on her flag and stop people entering Glasgow Green ( a public park ) because they have yes badges on.

It's not so much about no politicising the games - these are more because the ticket states that political, activist or any type of slogans are not allowed so people knew that anyway.

As for the gay kiss - that's nothing to do with politics and all to do with Scotland being a country where equality is a reality.

The UJ/Saltire flags are an absolute fuckin disgrace though.
Another sunrise with my sad captains
​With who I choose to lose my mind
​And if it's all we only come this way but once
​What a perfect waste of time
Ally Niemi
APPROVED user

Next

Return to The terracing